Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where is Cinderella?

Growing up my brothers and I had chores around the house that we had to do. I of course was the 'picked on' one. I had: my bedroom, the kitchen, dishes after dinner and sometimes the bathroom. Imagine a princess cleaning a bathroom that 5 people used. Yes, we only had 1 bathroom! You can imagine my horror! Now you must know that my mom was always cleaning the bathroom but, on those rare occassions that it was 'my turn'. I thought I would rather eat GREEN BEANS! When I was told on Saturday mornings not to ask to play until my room was cleaned... the world fell apart. I would dump out my dresser drawers, empty my closet and then spent hours putting it all back together, nice and neat. It wasn't until years later that my mom would have been perfectly happy with the bed made, dusted and vacuumed. What a foolish little girl I was.

As the years passed and I grew older I was still the 'picked on' one. My mom would taunt me by saying, 'when you get older you will be so thankful that you know how to keep a clean home.' 'YEA RIGHT I would think. If I didn't live with pigs this house would stay clean.' Are you seeing a pattern? That I was a BRAT!!!

Well, fast forward to 1994, a new skinny bride. Happy to have my own home to love and clean. It was always so clean (except for the dreaded spare bedroom with no door). I used to pat myself on the back because you could as my mom would say,'eat off my floors'. That's right... I kept a clean house. My dad would tease and ask when the maid was coming back to clean their home (I am pretty sure he meant me). Cleanliness is next to Godliness they would say.

Well, it has been 14 1/2 years since I moved out of my parents home and began the incredible journey of managing my own household. With each passing year my house gets more cluttered, cleaned less often and we are always trying to find the missing sock. My Grandma Jones would be mortified. She used to love bringing her dear friend Teddy over and brag about how wonderful I was, what a handsome husband I have, what an amazing little boy I have and to boot... look at her home. Well sorry Grandma but, I don't know where Cinderella went. I have called, "Cinderella, Cinderella, Night and day it's Cinderella" but, that brat of a princess can't be found.

6 comments:

Kell said...

I swear that if you give Cinderella and inch she takes a yard! However I must say 14 years is dedication. She left me after about three. She realized the house was unrecoverable the kids were a mess and prince charming was out there somewhere. SO selfish that one!

Robbins said...

CINDERELLA....who is that? I don't think she has ever been to this house. If the house somehow manages to get cleaned, half a day later the little munchkins have destroyed it again.

Danielle Christiansen said...

Cinderella.... Oh how I miss her. It seems like just yesterday I was a clean freak. Now I am lucky to even keep on top of it anymore. And I swear I walked in the house the other day and it smelled like stinky feet. I cannot have that!!! I really need to get back on top of things.
I was glad when the young women came by the other day on a cleaning scavenger hunt, they couldn't find anything to do except wash my front window. WOW! Di they come on an off day.

Speedys said...

I know exactly what you mean. Cinderella has figured out there is more to life than a super clean eat off the floors house, you can still use the 5 sec. rule, or what ever you need.

Suzee said...

Love this post! It made me laugh. I must say that I think eventually we just realize that there is more important things in life than having a meticulously clean house! My favorite poem ends by saying: "I want to be a housewife, but first I'll be a mother!" It is great when you finally are able to do the things that matter! Good Job to you!

Colett (*-*) said...

If you find her send her to my house!! She only shows up here right before Bunco or Book Group (if I am hosting) Loved this post, we all just do the best we can.