Thursday, October 2, 2008

Dr.'s, ER, and LIFE FLIGHT

Monday afternoon I was home sitting outside in a camp chair watching Kade & the 701 nieghbor kids out playing and soaking up what little time we have left of warmer afternoons when my phone rang. "Jesicca, can you help me?" It was Matt's youngest sister calling from the hospital in Price. Her husband Ted had been ill all weekend and finally conceded to go see his Dr. at which point he was directed to get to the ER because they thought he might have suffered a heart attack. With fear, they drove to the ER in Price. Please note I am sure the hospital is OK, but when you are in a small town you are limited on what is available to you medically. The ER could not meet his medical needs, thus the phone call.

Price was making arrangements for Ted to be sent to UVRMC via Life Flight and Karlene (Matt's sister) did not want him to arrive in Provo alone. I made several phone calls and had Matt & his 2 brothers at the hospital when Ted landed.

Poor Karlene had to make the 2 hour drive in the dark through the canyon by herself. Several of us offered to make the trek to pick her up but she insisted through tears and sobs that she would be fine. Several prayers were made in there behalf through those hours of her driving alone. We prayed that she would remain calm, that Ted would be stable through the flight, and that little Jordan (their daughter) would feel comfort in the absense of her parents.

Matt and his brother Marc were at UVRMC around 7PM waiting for news of Ted's departure from Price as the flight would only take 15 minutes. UVRMC's heart surgeons were all in surgery and we had to wait for a Dr. to become available before Price would release Ted to Life Flight. In the meantime I gave instructions to Matt and his brothers to meet with the receptionist in the UVRMC ER of who they were, who they were waiting for, and find out what time she expected Ted to arrive. She had no idea what they were talking about... thus more phone calls. Through trial and error we learned that Life Flight does NOT go through the ER. They have their own arrival portal at the hospital.

Tests were requested and administered, Dr.'s were updated and Ted was taken into surgery around midnight. Thankfully they were able to go through an artery in Teds thigh and perform surgery that consisted of cleaning his chambers and adding 4 permanent stints. Miracles happen: Ted was in ICU Monday and part of Tuesday, down graded to a regular room (nurses aren't as kind as the ICU nurses) Tuesday evening, and released Wednesday morning.

All is well and the recovery I am sure is the pits!

11 comments:

Natalie said...

So scary. I'm so glad he's ok.

Jessica said...

Whoa, freak you out! Bet no one slept that night. Glad to hear he's ok. I'm so glad we have the technology of life flight and good hospital facilities. Glad, especially, for family. phew.

Speedys said...

What a horrific night his wife must have had. Good thing she called you so everything could be ready hear for when he landed and for her arrival. Glad it all turned out to be ok in the end. Seriously what do people do that don't belive in the power of prayer.

Tiffani said...

How scarey. I was always terrified to play in Price because I DID NOT want to get hurt and have to go to the hospital there. Seriously it was a real fear.

Danielle Christiansen said...

I am so glad he is o.k I have been so worried for your family. I wasnt sure if I should call I wanted to wait till things calmed down. Thank heavens all went well with the surgery.

Elise said...

hey jj

andrea said...

THANK GOODNESS for modern medicine....and for helicopters.

Glad everyone is doing better now!

Lucrecia said...

Now that is terrifying! Thank goodness that everything is okay. I just couldn't imagine...

Jenn Granum said...

Wow, what a scary story. This is Lu's friend, Jenn. I got the football gumball machines at orientaltrading.com. They actually have lots of cute football things. Good luck with your party!

Daphne said...

I'm so glad everything worked out ok-isn't modern medicine a miracle? I'm needinng your email so I can chat with you about donations for my DR trip. Thank you for saying you and Matt would help!! How can I chat with you-email or phone? I don't know what info we should and shouldn't give on these blogs...

Fowler family said...

oh wow! so glad he is okay. That must have been scary for you guys and your sister.