Thursday, November 6, 2008

Sick... who ordered this stuff!

Last week I had the opportunity to do what we as Latter Day Saints have been counseled to do by the brethern.... can!

I went with some FUN, GREAT ladies to our local dry pack cannery.
We had a BLAST!

First off... what are you ordering? Do you prefer: packs, cans, or bulk? How many can we order? Will we use it all? Does it work? Does it taste ok? Will kids eat it? These are just a few of my questions. Thanks to Becky- her counsel, 'fill what you think you will eat and as for the method of canning it is personal preference, don't worry what others are doing.'

Second step... we were dressed in fabulous attire. Aprons, rubber gloves (turn your head and cough), and hair nets. HOT MOMMAS WERE WE!
Back row: Emily, Ashlee, Rebecca, Karen, Me
Front row: Tana, Cheryl, Emily, Becky

We canned: beans, onions, carrots, apple slices, oats, drink mixes, and milk... WHO ORDERED THE MILK? My group got STUCK filling the powdered milk. It smells like urine, it sticks to everything, it doesn't pour nicely- it dumps, and you have to pack it down to meet the weight requirements. It was disgusting!
The Milk Maids: Madeline, Me, Karen, Rebecca (we were covered in MILK)

12 comments:

Lucrecia said...

hmmmm...? That's not very appealing Jess!:) I've never been before. Now I'm scared;)

Lydia said...

I've only caned once but it was fun. I think it helps to do it in groups.

Speedys said...

Well it may be sick when going in the cans, but who how yummy it will be in a time of need. I've canned once and had a great time!:) I need to do it again!

Morgan said...

i keep trying to get up the nerve to go to the cannery. that's definitely what i need, good girlfriends!
i agree the milk won't be sooo bad in a time of need.
your hats look hot. ha ha.

Rebecca said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe you posted those pictures. We are so hot! I must get copies of them. I can't wait to go again.

Toni said...

Wow, I did that once and I am not so sure I am up to it again. I also did milk and it was a sticky mess. I was amazed at how mess it was.

Stephanie said...

I think you should dress like that all the time. It is very becoming of you.

Britney said...

What a good sport you are. Pretty sure I am not interested in the powdered milk!

andrea said...

Hey lovely lady! Good to catch up with you via blog....keep up the great work.

Danielle Christiansen said...

I havn't been. You guys look so cute in those caps.

Colett (*.*) said...

Val and I did this once, it was not my favorite day, but it is the only way I have food storage. Who wants to rotate dry milk into their diet? blah!

Amy said...

smells like urine..wonder what it actually tastes like!