Thursday, December 18, 2008

Memories

Growing up I loved Christmas... I still do! I would tell my friends that I was loved more because my brother and I had 2 Christmas'. You read right... 2. We rotated year to year between my dad's and mom's homes for Christmas Eve, then on Christmas day we would go to the other parents home. Yes, we were loved more! How could we not be?

Growing up in Utah in the 70's-80's there was snow. Nothing pathetic like we get now, I mean snow. So much that it would block the parking strips along our streets, and we would listen to the news report praying for a snow day.

We wore 'moon-boots', they always leaked and we would have to line the inside with bread sacks. We thought we were so poor. It wasn't until later that we found out everyone lined their boots with bread sacks. Wonder bread anyone? We would play until our winter wear was soaked through and we were shivering. My mom would make us come through the laundry room and strip down because she didn't want snow tracked through the house. We would make a mad dash for the bathroom, turn on the hot water and get in. Then with tear streaked faces we would cry our eyes out because the water BURNED. You all have the same memory, I know you do. I loved flocked trees growing up (they expensive) my mom would buy a tree, cans of spray flock and then stand outside for hours flocking our trees. Once she was finished we would carefully bring it in the house and place it just so. My brothers were always off playing and I would sit on the couch watching my mom decorate. We were NEVER allowed to help decorate for the Holidays (I am just like my mother, who is just like her mother). My mom's trees were beautiful, they always had a theme and matching ornaments. Never a 'hodge-podge' tree, that was and still is unexceptable. I am not ashamed... I don't want a 'hodge-podge' tree in my home. My mom taught me to weave CLEAR lights in and out of every branch, insuring the the perfect glow.

As the gifts would start collecting under the tree we would sneak under the tree and peak at the name tags, careful to keep tally of how many gifts each of us had. If someone had more than the others, we would be devastated. I remember one night just not being able to take it any longer so when my parents went to bed I snuck into the family room, turned on the TV (careful to turn the volume down)for light, and sorted all of the gifts. Each year my parents would explain that Christmas would be tight and that they didn't want us to be disappointed. We never knew what they meant because come Christmas morning- our family room was packed with gifts galore!

Christmas brought fabulous family parties with Santa in attendance and don't forget the token family member that no-one wants to claim- come on you all have one or two or more...

Christmas was magical growing up and I want to thank my parents for that! It is our prayer that Christmas can be magical for you and your family. MERRY CHRISTMAS!


8 comments:

Kami said...

ha ha. You're right, I had those same experiences. Remember all that snow in the 80's, early 90's? Church and school were cancelled ALOT back then. :)

Natalie said...

What, I wasn't the only one that wore wonder bags over my fashionable moon boots?

Danielle Christiansen said...

I loved my moon boots. I loved coming in sitting next to the heater and drinking Hot chocolate.

Tiffani said...

What a great post. I remember the sacks in my boots. I hated it because it took too long to get the boots on.

Natalie said...

Jesicca, I swear we have the same mother! I love your post it pretty much sums up my family memories as well. Unfortunately my husband insists on helping with the tree but when he leaves the house...I "fix" everything so it's just right. Like mother like daughter.

Speedys said...

My mom also had the perfect tree, but I haven't gone that far. My kids love to help set up and decorate the tree, I just redirect the ornaments a little by letting them know they can't all be right together... you know tha same colors:)

Our family said...

I only remember getting your hand me down ski clothing and skis. You got the new stuff and I got your stuff. I am not complaining I did enjoy the larger clothing. I only wish you had been an older brother. Pinks and purples were the pits in Junior High.

Rebecca said...

Your family picture turned out way nice. I like the old truck in the background. Who took them?