Monday, June 15, 2009

what can i give...

i was watching a recording of oprah (used to love her, now i can take her or leave her) a couple of weeks ago that has stayed on my mind and in my heart ever since. it was about people giving back during this crAzY economic crisis we find ourselves in. she had a little one that collects new toys for children who are victims of house fires, a little one that collects new socks for the homeless, a couple that retired-bought a hotel-and have now turned it into a shelter for people down on their luck, a man that is a mechanic who now fixes up what we might call 'clunckers' and sells them for the repair parts to individuals with no car who are looking for work- single mothers- etc, a dr. and his wife in arkansas that open a free clinic twice a week for their community whose population is 2,000 and half are uninsured, a woman that helps people get their homes back when they are in jeoporady of loosing them, and a little one that has an official lemonade stand and donates the proceeds to cancer in her cousins name.

i cried my eyes out watching this episode and feeling the spirit so strongly that i need to help MY neighbors, those in MY community, those in MY country. there is so much to be done, so much that can be given.

often i wonder what i, a small town girl in a small town community can do to give back... i still wonder. i used to think- i don't have time- i don't have extra money- i don't know what i can do other than donate to the scouting food drive every fall- surely there must be something! i am here to admit... i am still looking.

i am on my wards enrichment committee and a couple of months ago we had a training/planning meeting. during which i recommended that we do a swap (now called the shop -n- swap) where families go through their homes pulling clothing, housewares, home decor, tools, etc. and swap with others. my moms stake did this years ago and it was amazing. we are hosting our 1st annual shop -n- swap in august. but what else can i do?

last week one of my dearest childhood friends, lana told me that her family is doing a weekly summer service project in the community- why didn't i think of this? she is my hero.

it is ridiculous to think that i can't do something when oprah had even little ones on. they are my example, they are my light, they feed my soul with growth that i as a grown woman need so desperately.

5 comments:

Kami said...

I saw that episode too and loved it. It made me reflect on how I need to be more willing to help others. Great post!

Tiffani said...

you are awesome. I am sure you already do more than you realize. I have been thinking that it is WAY past time to teach Cameron to do service for people outside our home. You have motivated me.

Danielle Christiansen said...

you have such a great heart and do so much for so many. I know you will think of something. i often wonder what I can do as well instead of complaining about my own situation. I think I need something like this. thanks for the reminder that we should all be looking out for one another.

Lucrecia said...

You know, I think SAHM's underestimate themselves. I think things like taking dinners, watching kids, and being a genuine friend are all important acts of service. I also think it would be fun to do a neighborhood cleanup, or park cleanup. Or yard work for someone who is unable. Widows always need assistance in some way. Sometimes you can't really help someone but you can lift their spirits with a dinner party, dessert night, or game night. I dunno Jesicca, I'm just rambling now! :)

Lucrecia said...

Oh Jesicca, you're so silly! That's not me in that picture (TRX squats). Er...uh... I mean it is. It totally is! :) :) :)*